Sunday, August 1, 2010

Precious Memories

     Many of my memories of being a child revolve around food. I remember the summer my dad was on strike, so we planted a garden and ate from it often. I remember the bowl we used to eat popcorn from. I remember my grandmother's mint brownies she would make when we visited her in Texas. I remember the good food and good times we had when my dad used to make a big meal each Sunday evening. My mother didn't like to cook very much, but she had a few signature dishes which we loved. My mom has been gone for seven years now, but the memories of the food she made for us will last forever with me.
     One dish in particular has haunted me over the years. I knew basically what it consisted of, but I had never actually tried to recreate it from memory. I can still remember sitting at the dinner table and eating this dish. Then last week my dad's wife called and mentioned that my Dad had asked her to make something called "Hungry Jack Casserole" for him. She wasn't familiar with the recipe, so she searched online and found it. What a blessing it is to have been reacquainted with this comforting dish!
     Thank you, Lord, for the memories of my mom that pop up every now and then. I appreciate them so much. Amen.
     And without further ado, here is the recipe:

Hungry Jack Casserole (adapted from Cooks.com)

1 1/2 lbs. hamburger
1 T. chopped onion
2 T. brown sugar
1 (16oz.) can pork and beans
3/4 c. BBQ sauce
1 can Biscuits
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Saute onions until tender, add hamburger, brown and drain. Put hamburger mixture in large casserole dish and add brown sugar, pork and beans, and BBQ sauce. Mix well. Pull biscuits apart and place on top of mixture. Sprinkle cheese on top of biscuits. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes, or until biscuits are done. Serves 8.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you found this recipe! Isn't it amazing how a certain food can bring back so many fond memories? Thanks for sharing...your blog has already blessed me so much!

    ReplyDelete