Thursday, August 5, 2010

Little Mommies, Little Marthas,

     Lately my daughter has been playing a little game where she is the "mommy," and I am the "kid." Every few hours she reminds me of this by saying, "I'm still the mommy."  Her game has been going on for several days now.
     She also likes to play "mommies" with her friend. One of them plays the "mommy," the other one plays the "kid" (as they say), and they go around saying things like, "Can I have a snack now, Mommy?" or "Can you play with me Mommy?" Then the "Mommy" will say,"In a minute, honey, as soon as I finish this."
     I have been amazed since we had children how much they like to mimic the real-life activity that goes on within and around our home. They like to play by doing the things they see us doing, which makes me think...are they seeing us doing the things God would have us to do? My children have yet to be taught the story of Mary and Martha in Luke 10, but if they were, they would definitely be able to identify me as a Martha and not as a Mary. They see me go, go, go all day, and to be fair, we are supposed to be "working at home" (according to Titus 2:5). But do they see me "sitting at Jesus' feet" to learn from Him? Do they see me learning to "love my husband and love my children" (Titus 2:4)? I recently noticed in the Titus 2 passage that loving your husband and children comes before the "working at home" part.
     I have such a long way to go before I can get close to being a "Mary", and I am so often guilty of putting my daily responsibilities ahead of loving my husband and children. So my prayer today is that God would change my heart to make me want to sit at His feet to learn from Him, and that He would help me do things in the order he wrote them in His word so that I might love my family by putting them ahead of my work. This is what I want my children to see in me and imitate. And I have hope that this will come to pass, that my children will see in my life my love for our Savior and for them, because Paul wrote in Philippians 1:6," And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."

1 comment:

  1. I so love your honesty, vulnerability and openness. Thank you for being an open book. It is refreshing. :)

    ReplyDelete